St Aidan’s Church of England Academy is an 11-16 academy, which opened in September 2007 following the closure of its predecessor school, Eastbourne School. It originally opened as Eastbourne Academy but changed its name when it moved into new premises in 2009.
The old Eastbourne School was opened on 28th September 1936 by Oliver Stanley, the President of the Board of Education, having been built at a cost of £24,000. It had an oak-panelled hall seating 500, and a cinema. For the boys there were science, woodwork and metalwork rooms; for girls there was a “domestic instruction block”.
The first headmaster of the 1,100-place school was George Welford, who retired in 1959. Nora Fenby was the infamous head of the girls’ school from 1939-1963. Ray Bryant was headmaster from 1973-1986.
The red brick building, which was accessed off Yarm Road, was demolished in 2009.
St Aidan’s is a smaller than average size academy and its commitment to the education, care and support of its pupils, together with efforts to raise educational outcomes, make it popular with parents. The Academy has become a school of choice and a source of pride for our pupils, parents and the local community.
The new building provides a bright, motivational learning environment with flexible spaces and numerous breakout areas, which provide fantastic opportunities for innovative and engaging teaching and learning.
There are currently 512 pupils on roll, the majority of whom live locally, with figures as follows: